Saturday, September 3, 2011

Hope.

"When hope is not pinned wriggling on a shiny image or expectation, it sometimes floats forth and opens."
~Anne Lamott~

This week, while difficult in many ways, also brought unexpected hope when I needed it most.

This has truly been an unusual summer. As I was hanging out with my friend on Monday, she mentioned more than once, "You are in an unusual circumstance, Natasha. Are you sure that you're doing okay?" While there have been incredible moments and experiences this summer- Jeff and I got engaged, we went on a road trip on the California coast, I moved to my own place, found my wedding dress, my sisters visited me, I had time to spend with good friends- there has been a constant, looming sense of uncertainty about where I will be when September comes.

September is here and I am still waiting, still trusting that God will work and that I will be teaching this year. But going through the motions of the start of a school year, hopeful that this is where I will be, but not completely certain has started to take its toll on my heart and emotions. On Wednesday, when I was feeling this sadness and uncertainty to it's fullest, I received some hopeful news. To make a long story short, it looks like it is very likely that I will be teaching this year. We are expecting to know for sure this week. While I am still being, as my friend Melissa labelled it, "guardedly optimistic", I truly do feel hopeful and much lighter than I have in such a long time.

The other significant news of the week is that Jeff and I are officially running the New York marathon in November! This week has been remarkable as numerous friends and family members have committed to sponsoring children who are in need through World Vision. It looks like we have about 18 children sponsored now! This is such a blessing and motivation to keep persisting in the training as our runs are getting longer and starting to take a toll on our bodies. We feel so surrounded by the love and support of our community.

While an unusual summer, God has blessed me and been faithful. I can rest secure in the fact that I am surrounded by the open arms of friends and family no matter what this next week and month brings. But ultimately, I can rest secure in the arms of God.

"I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall... I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord's steadfast love for us, we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness... The Lord is good to those whose hope is in Him. It is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord." Lamentations 3:22,23

No comments:

Post a Comment