Monday, September 26, 2011

Tired... but filled with Joy.

I have now been back at school for one week. One week. And I'm exhausted. I am so thankful to be back and truly enjoying my students and this year so far, but at the end of the day I am beat. It's a challenge just to walk home after work, and I still have this regimented running schedule to follow. As I was walking to school today, shuffling my feet after our long run last night, I found myself starting to feel overwhelmed by all that is going on. I started wondering how I was going to continue training and teaching at the same time. I started feeling annoyed about the sticky sweat dripping down my neck and angry that my ipod wasn't working.

As I was nearing the school and saw the tip of the school 'steeple' all of those thoughts stopped. I was overcome with joy. Not joy in the happy and energetic sense. Joy in the, I am tired but filled with the feeling of being blessed. I remembered where I was a week before today and how God has carried me and answered my fervent prayers. So it's been one week since my work visa crisis had subsided and already I was starting to worry about other things, starting to feel overwhelmed by what lay ahead. How funny it is that, as soon as a "crisis" subsides, and all is well with our world, we forget what we have learned in the time of crisis. We find small, selfish reasons for feeling overwhelmed instead of basking in the blessings and hope that God has provided in our lives.

I am determined, in these weeks ahead, to thank God and find joy in my job when I am exhausted at the end of the day. To thank God and find joy in the capability to run when all I want to do is press the snooze button on my alarm. I read a part of Psalm 51 to my students today:

"Have mercy on me, Oh God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sins... Cleanse me with hyssop and I will be clean; wash me and I will be whiter than snow... Create in me a pure heart, Oh God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me."

That last part spoke to me... restore to me the joy of your salvation... grant me a willing spirit to sustain me. I like the thought of constantly asking God to restore joy in my life. When I am down, when I am disillusioned... when I am distracted... restore to me that joy, that is my prayer.

Running Update:
There is a little over a month until we run the marathon! Jeff is going to start taking pictures on our long runs, since there are some amazing views that we get to enjoy! They will be posted soon. Please think/pray for us next Sunday... we are planning on running 18 miles. If you have not yet considered sponsoring a child, please do so! We are about 8 sponsorships away from our goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment